What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used to make websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to streamline your experience and provide website owners with reporting information (such as for improvement of website functionality and ad delivery). Cookies set by a website owner (in this case, ANSYS) are called “first party cookies.” Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called “third-party cookies.” Third-party cookies enable third-party features or functionality on or through the website (e.g. advertising, interactive content, and analytics). Owners of third-party cookies can recognize your computer both when visiting the website in question as well as certain other websites.
We use first party and third-party cookies for several reasons. Some cookies are required for our Site to operate, and we refer to these as “strictly necessary” cookies. Other cookies enable us to identify and respond to the interests of users to enhance the experience on our Site. Third-party cookies on our Site are used for advertising, analytics and other purposes as further outlined below.
Types of cookies on our Site
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are necessary for the Site to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the Site may not work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
- Performance Cookies: These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our Site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the Site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our Site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
- Functional Cookies: These cookies enable the Site to provide enhanced functionality and personalization. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.
- Targeting Cookies: These cookies may be set through our Site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant ads on other sites. These cookies collect personal information by uniquely identifying your browser and internet device to determine your interests. If you do not allow these cookies, you will receive non-personalized advertising.
What about other tracking technologies, like web beacons?
Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to a website. Similar technologies, like web beacons (sometimes called “tracking pixels” or “clear gifs”), are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier to recognize when someone has previously visited a website or has opened an email sent to them. We may use this technology from time to time (subject to your browser settings for blocking cookies) for purposes such as to understand whether you have come to our Site from an online advertisement or banner displayed on a third-party website, or to measure the success of email marketing campaigns.
What about targeted advertising?
Third-party cookies on our Site may be used to deliver advertisements as part of your use of the Site. These companies may use information about your visits to the Site and other websites to provide you with relevant advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest. They may also employ technology used to measure the effectiveness of advertisements using cookies and web beacons. The information collected through this process does not enable us or them to identify your name, contact details, or other personally identifying details unless you choose to provide this information.
How can I control cookies?
You have the right to accept or reject cookies and may set or amend your choices at any time.
- Cookie Preference Center: You can exercise your cookie choices related to cookies (except strictly necessary cookies) on our Site by visiting our Cookie Preference Center, available here:
- Disabling Most Interest Based Advertising: Most advertising networks offer you a way to opt-out of targeted advertising. For more information, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ or http://www.youronlinechoices.com.
Where can I get further information?